A perfect summery recipe from The Petersham’s head chef Jean-Didier Gouges
160g Cod fillet
70g Pak choi
Small handful of fresh coriander
For the broth
40g Fresh ginger
4 Peel cloves of garlic
1 Banana shallot
3 Stems of lemongrass
6g Kaffir lime leaf
1 Spring onion
1 Red chilli
1tsp of fish sauce
800ml Coconut milk
190ml Pineapple juice
50g Thai basil
10g Fresh coriander
Juice of one lime
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Peel and dice the banana shallot, lemongrass, spring onion, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, ginger and red chilli, and add to a pan with the kaffir lime leaves. Cook slowly on a low heat, making sure to not let anything burn.
3. Once very lightly coloured, add the fish sauce, coconut milk, Thai basil and pineapple juice to the pan and let simmer.
4. As the broth simmers, add the lime juice and chopped coriander. Pass through a fine sieve and then set aside and leave to rest and infuse.
5. Whilst the mix is resting, pan fry the cod for 7 minutes then finish cooking in a preheated oven for a further 4 minutes.
6. In the same pan used for the cod, add the pak choi and samphire and sauté until golden brown.
7. To serve, pour the broth in the bowl first and add the sautéed samphire and pak choi, and then delicately place the pan-fried cod on top with a garnish of coriander to finish.
The Petersham Hotel,
Nightingale Lane, Richmond, Surrey, TW10 6UZ
020 8940 7471