2 -8 July 2018 at venues all of Epsom & Ewell
One hot, dry, summer’s day in 1618, a farmer called Henry Wicker was the first person to taste magnesium sulphate (MgSO4) in the mineral water bubbling up from his field. With this discovery of ‘Epsom Salts,’ Epsom became England’s first spa town. Celebrities of the day – including Samuel Pepys and Nell Gwynn – came to drink and bathe in the waters.
In celebration of this 400-year-anniversary, the theme of the 2018 MGSO4 Epsom & Ewell Arts Festival is DISCOVERY.
- The world’s first performance of Greg Harradine’s new classic music composition for cello and piano, The Story Of Henry Wicker inspired by the chemistry of Epsom Salts, retelling through music, the story of their discovery in 1618.
- The first-ever street performance of the seventeenth-century play Epsom Wells.
- The premiere of The Musicians’ Guide to a Happy Marriage by the incredibly talented performing couple It Had To Be Two – Nadine Andre and Paul Cavaciuti.
- Journey of Discovery Contemporary Art Exhibition
- Debut authors Michael Donkor and Charly Cox – tipped by The Guardian and Elle magazine as the ones to watch in 2018.
- Dinner with The BB Horns – with 25 years of touring and supporting major jazz funk artists.
For children and families
Children and families will have the opportunity to try a few things they’ve never done before at the MGSO4 Epsom & Ewell Arts Festival this summer.
Explore the word beneath your feet and all of its wriggly inhabitants with the quirky, award-winning dance show Grass for young children. Featuring worms, slugs, snails, spontaneous outbreaks of ant dancing and plenty of obscure statistics, Grass uses performance, puppetry and projection to inspire children to look closely at the world around them, to get mucky and play.
Enjoy a range of traditional and unusual instruments at The Sound of Music drop-in session or travel back in time and try out costumed life-drawing with seventeenth century outfits.
Enjoy a host of art and craft activities and discover The Lost Words of Epsom in poetry and pictures.
About MGSO4 Epsom & Ewell Arts Festival
MGSO4 Epsom & Ewell Arts Festival is an independent week-long multi-arts festival.
The festival will host performances, workshops, exhibitions and interactive events; combining music, dance, words, theatre, circus and visual arts, at venues across the borough. Some events are free and others ticketed.
The event is not-for-profit, run by the MGSO4 Epsom & Ewell Arts registered charity (no 1166014).