Don’t waste good food, learn how to make great use of your leftovers with this quick Bread and Butter Pudding recipe
25g (1 oz) Lightly salted butter
400ml (14 floz) Milk
200ml (7 floz) Double cream
1 Vanillapod, seeds scraped out or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g (2 oz) Caster sugar
3 Large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
125g (4½ oz) Apricot jam
6 Day-old croissants, cut into 15mm (5⁄8 inch) thick slices
100g (3½ oz) Chopped dried apricots
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F), gas mark 3.
- Generously grease the base and sides of a 2.5 litre (4½ pint) ovenproof dish with the butter and set aside.
- Combine the milk, cream and vanilla pod and seeds (or extract) in a saucepan and bring to just simmering point.
- Meanwhile whisk the sugar, eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot milk mixture over the eggs and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Discard the vanilla pod.
- Mix the apricot jam with 2 tablespoons of hot water to loosen then spread over the slices of croissant.
- Arrange the croissant slices in overlapping layers on the bottom of the dish, sprinkling the chopped apricots between the layers.
- Pour the custard mixture over the top and leave to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
For more sumptuous recipes visit www.lisafaulkner.co.uk